National & Local News
Live national & local news feeds courtesy of the BBC
The latest stories from the UK section of the BBC News web site.
- SNP celebrate win but miss majority
The SNP win a third election victory but fall short of a majority with Labour pushed into third place in Scotland on a "mixed" night for Jeremy Corbyn.
- Police hunt man after fatal shooting
A man who may be armed with a gun is wanted by police after a shooting in Somerset left one man dead and another injured.
- 'Boaty' ship named after Attenborough
The UK's new polar research ship is to be named RRS Sir David Attenborough, despite Boaty McBoatface previously topping a public vote.
- BHS inquiry chairman 'should resign'
Former BHS owner Philip Green calls on the chairman of a Commons committee probing the collapse to resign over "prejudicial comments", as ex-M&S chief Lord Myners is appointed to advise MPs.
- No pay-out for double murderer tip-off
A woman whose tip-off led to a Ripper-obsessed double murderer being caught will not get a £20,000 reward because she called police not Crimestoppers.
- Special needs pupils school place delay
Solicitors say thousands of pupils with special needs were not offered secondary school places, assessed to be suitable for them, by the official deadline.
- Presidential hopeful Trump backs Brexit
The UK would be "better off without" the European Union, US presidential hopeful Donald Trump says.
- Second homes ban in St Ives secured
Residents of a Cornish seaside town vote to stop the building of second homes.
- Axed health champion fears for young
The former mental health champion for schools in England says the government's decision to axe her role silences young people and teachers.
- Judge rules teenager must give up baby
A teenager who became pregnant after being placed into council care must give up her baby, a family court judge in Leeds rules.
- 'Brave' death crash family's safety plea
The family of a man who died in a car crash on the Isle of Man are praised for their bravery after telling their story in a new road safety video.
- Promotion decider 'worth at least £170m'
Promotion to the Premier League will be worth at least £170m to Middlesbrough or Brighton, who face each other on Saturday.
- Car crash kitten reunited with owner
A kitten which was flung from a car in a motorway crash is reunited with its owner after a public appeal.
- Steaming hole live feed goes global
A steaming hole opens up in a road in Sheffield prompting a surge in social media interest in it.
- Murray through to Madrid Open last four
Britain's Andy Murray beats Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic for the first time on clay to reach the Madrid Open semi-finals.
- Oxlade-Chamberlain to miss Euro 2016
Arsenal and England winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is out of this summer's European Championship with a knee injury.
- Khan lacks 'killer instinct' - Hunter
Amir Khan's trainer, Virgil Hunter, admits his charge lacks "killer instinct" ahead of his fight against Saul Alvarez in Las Vegas on Saturday.
- Elections 2016: At-a-glance guide
An at-a-glance guide to the 2016 elections, including results, analysis and what's going to happen when.
- Labour just short as UKIP wins seats
Labour falls short of a majority in the Welsh assembly as UKIP wins its first seats in Cardiff Bay.
- Labour 'hung on', Jeremy Corbyn says
Jeremy Corbyn says his party had "hung on" and defied predictions of local election losses in England.
- Poll predictions and junior doctor talks
Headlines focus on the potential fallout from Thursday's elections, junior doctors and a Leonardo da Vinci mystery.
- VIDEO: 'We have tonight made history'
"I will lead this country with confidence, with courage, with ambition, with imagination", the SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon has pledged.
- VIDEO: BBC confronts McDonnell with Labour memo
The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg confronts Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell with Labour's election memo.
- VIDEO: Labour losing Jewish votes - Mann
Labour's leader Jeremy Corbyn needs to address the anti-Semitism row within his party, John Mann MP has said.
- VIDEO: 'Young people being silenced'
Former government health champion Natasha Devon speaks to Newsnight
- VIDEO: 'Surprise' at junior doctors' contract pause
The government has said it is willing to pause the introduction of the junior doctors' contract in England for five days from Monday to allow for talks.
- VIDEO: London NHS choir signs film deal
The NHS choir that beat Justin Bieber to the UK's Christmas number one spot in 2015 signs a film deal to tell its story of success.
- VIDEO: Force 'tried to spin' Hillsborough news
A former South Yorkshire Police press officer says she was asked to work as a spin doctor during the recent Hillsborough inquests.
- VIDEO: 100-year-old woman models in Vogue
A 100-year-old woman has made history by becoming the oldest model to feature in Vogue, to celebrate the magazine's centenary.
- How does grief cause physical pain?
How does grief cause people physical pain?
- Finding the graves of the two Joes
Hero fathers found after a lifetime of searching
- The winner takes it all
Other memorable final-day-of-the-season nailbiters
- The hunt for natural antibacterials
Ancient remedies turned to in hunt for natural antibacterials
- Quiz of the week's news
What's the name of Princess Charlotte's pet?
- Why was the New Day so short-lived?
Readers give their reasons why New Day paper came to an end
- What does it mean to be a Smith?
What it means to have the UK's most common name?